Monthly Mission Focus – Society Of St. Andrew
SEPTEMBER IS NATIONAL HUNGER ACTION MONTH!
Amid the struggles resulting from COVID-19, over 70 million people in the U.S. today are hungry or are food insecure. Yet in this country, we will throw away over 133 billion pounds of good food in 2020. The Society of St. Andrew shares healthy, nourishing food with hungry people right here in the USA by sending willing volunteers to glean (pick, dig, or gather) fresh fruits and vegetables from fields and orchards.
When you support the Society of St. Andrew, you are making sure that good food is not wasted and that our hungry brothers and sisters are fed. Formed in 1979 they have partnered with faith groups, secular groups, schools, and individuals, that we might all serve together by feeding the hungry out of the abundance that we are provided. SoSA focuses on preventing food waste and feeding the hungry through a variety of projects including the Potato & Produce Project, Harvest of Hope and the Gleaning Network. Last year more than 29,000 volunteers worked with the Society of St. Andrew to put more than 69 million servings of food on the tables of those who need it most.
In 2020, through July:
- SoSA has gleaned, gathered, and distributed 12,501,707 pounds of fresh produce in 2,803 events, with 9,866 volunteers.
- Food donated by 528 farmers has been distributed to hungry people through 1,497 feeding agencies.
- Pounds of food already wasted in the U.S. this year: 80,230,619,143 and counting This waste happens in the fields, transportation, supermarkets, restaurants, and homes.
This month your financial support will help the Society of St. Andrew to alleviate the solvable problem of hunger in America.
How can you help?
- Financial donations may be made online
- DAILY CALENDAR FOR PRAYER AND ACTION: scripture reading and related activity for each day of September
- Drop off non-perishable food items in the St. Mark’s donation bins, inside Door #2, Monday-Friday, 9-4
- Find gleaning opportunities in Indiana here
- Sign up to help with St. Marks’ annual POTATO DROP on Saturday, October 10, 2020
Please contact Stephanie Cohen if you would like to know more.