Family Promise / Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
Family Promise is a partnership of congregations and community organizations that are responding to the crisis of families who are homeless. They believe in interfaith cooperation, keeping families together, changing lives, hospitality, good stewardship, and raising awareness.
Night Without a Bed | May 2
Have you ever had to spend a night without a bed? Join St. Mark’s team in helping Family Promise/IHN expand shelter for families in need. Click here to learn more about how you can participate in a unique, family friendly, fundraising opportunity to help Family Promise support families who may not have a home, let alone a bed.
Hosting Families in 2020
St. Mark’s has been a long-time partner of Interfaith Hospitality Network, the hallmark program of Family Promise. IHN is a coordinated response of the faith community that provides emergency food & shelter, offers individual skill development & rehabilitation, advocates for economic stability and strives to end homelessness for the guests they serve. Each congregation in the network takes turns furnishing overnight lodging and meals during their assigned week, several times each year. Our role as volunteers is fundamental to this program – we can make a difference by offering dignified compassionate assistance to families who have lost their homes.
Click here to make a financial donation to Family Promise or use the mission envelope in the Sunday bulletin. You may also help by donating twin-size blankets, new pillows, laundry detergent pods and disinfectant wipes. These donations may be placed in a bin inside Door #2 at St. Mark’s.
St. Mark’s 2020 hosting weeks: August 9-16, December 13-20
Volunteer needs include:
- Dinner hosts (5:00-8:00 p.m.) Share a prepared meal with our guests, provide companionship & help with clean up.
- Meal preparation – Prepare part of a meal for 15 – 20 people. Bring the meal to church by 5:00 p.m.
- Provide food – provide prepared foods for lunch & breakfast (milk, lunch meat, etc.).
- Overnight hosts (8:00 p.m.–7:00 a.m.) – be part of a team that spends the night at St. Mark’s and is on-hand to assist guests.
- Set up, tear down and clean up – help set up beds and rooms on Sunday before our guests arrive or help remove beds and clean up on the following Sunday.
- Transportation – drive the van between St. Mark’s and the IHN Day Center.
Supply Drive – Personal Hygiene Needs:
African American hair care products
baby wash and baby bottles
bar soap and body wash
deodorant (men and women)
diapers size 4,5,6 (*only these sizes)
pull-ups: 2T, 3T, 4T, 5T
feminine hygiene products (all sizes)
hand sanitizer: large bottles
liquid soap: large & small bottles
shampoo & conditioner
towels & washcloths (new or gently used)
NEW Underwear (children & adults)
Family Promise by the Numbers Across the US (2016)
- 200 Affiliates in 42 States
- 6,000 Congregations providing 170,000 Volunteers
- More than 50,000 served annually; 700,000 served since founding
- 76% served find housing within 9 weeks
- 60% of those served are children, most under the age of 6
If you would like to learn more about IHN, please visit the Family Promise of Greater Indianapolis website.